Clinical Trials for Patients
What is a Clinical Trial?
When a drug company or a device company comes up with a new drug or product, this product is extensively tested. The test results are then submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It evaluates the results before approval for general use. During this testing process, the company uses centers known for their quality and prestige. These centers give the drug or use the device on their patients. They collect information on efficacy (how effective the new drug or device is). They also collect information on safety (is the new drug or device safe). This is called a Clinical Trial.
Why should you participate in a Clinical Trial?
- A clinical trial may give you access to a treatment not yet available to the general public.
- You help in the development of new knowledge and treatments for patients in general.
- You receive evaluation and treatment at no cost to you.
- You are paid for your time and inconvenience.
Is a Clinical Trial safe?
No guarantees can be made that any given Clinical Trial is safe. However, trials by reputable centers such as ours make every effort to maintain safety. The Clinical Trial is first reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board. This happens before any patients are enrolled. You are given a detailed Informed Consent. You review it before you agree to participate. You may withdraw your participation or leave the study at any time. Generally, we make every effort to make sure that any harm to you (and we have never had any significant safety issue in doing this for 22 years) is taken care of by the company developed by the new drug or product.
Do you have any Clinical Trial going on at this time?
Currently we are conducting the following Clinical Trials:
- Patients ages 35-80, with Parkinson’s disease and Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. This study is looking at the effect of a new medicine on sleepiness in patients with Parkinson’s disease. It lasts 6 weeks, with five 24 hour stays with us as well as other visits. We pay up to $1700 for the subject’s time and expenses.
Clinical trials come and go, and they fill up fast. Please click here to see if we are currently recruiting for any trials.