10 Things You Can Do to Improve Your Sleep
10 things you can do to improve your sleep:
1. Go to bed at the same time every day
2. Get up at the same time every day
3. Get no more than 8 hours in bed every day( this is the time spent in bed, not time asleep)
4. Do not watch TV (or read, use computer or smartphone, or do anything else) in bed
5. Do not allow pets in the bed (they may be OK in the bedroom but not in bed)
6. Keep the bedroom dark (a night light may be OK, nothing brighter than that)
7. Make sure it is quiet
8. Keep a comfortable temperature in the bedroom
9. Avoid caffeine in the evening
10. Avoid alcohol close to bedtime
When people say they do not sleep well, we have to understand what they mean. They may mean they have difficulty falling asleep. Or they may have difficulty staying asleep. These two categories suggest an insomnia disorder.
However, they may mean that they are tired when they wake up. This could suggest a number of things. Sleep apnea can cause this. Idiopathic hypersomnia is another cause. Depression can also make this happen.
Especially in the retired older age group, a common cause of complaints of poor sleep is spending too much time in bed. Whether you have insomnia or just want to sleep better, the ten tips above are likely to help.